16 April 2009

What's all the Twitter About?

I officially joined the social media bandwagon in 2007 when I started a FaceBook profile and have had a lot of fun keeping up with friends and family online. Then, I created a LinkedIn profile to connect with others in my MBA cohort and for career networking online. This Blog site came to be last fall while I was taking an eMarketing course at UBC, and I started tagging Delicious bookmarks at about the same time (thanks for the suggestion Paul).

But I had resisted having anything to do with Twitter ... until yesterday. It was the New York Times article by Claire Cain Miller that did it. I was curious to see how companies are using Twitter for public relations and marketing activities.

I have worked in food media marketing for 9 years now and was excited to learn that Twitter sites now exist for Starbucks, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, and they're all using the tool in different ways. Before I knew it I had registered for a Twitter account and found that about 20 people in my circle had already joined, so I invited a few more, and customized my page using an available template.

We've reached yet another social media tipping point where people have become comfortable sharing their thoughts in one-line phrases which then can be linked to longer posts in news articles and blog sites. And these notices, or headlines can be viewed either online, or you can set up your mobile devices to receive SMS text alerts when new items are posted to your favorite Twitter sites.

What's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BEGIN GOOGLE ANALYTICS CODE